Providing secure, humane supervision and evidence-based rehabilitation while Promoting Public Safety with Respect, Professionalism, Dedication and Courage as One Team.

If you require further information, please e-mail your specific questions to our Public Information Office at feedback@doc.nh.gov

How do I become a Prison Volunteer?

Volunteers are accepted on a need's basis.

Current need:


Before being able to volunteer, you would need to have submitted the volunteer application, passed the background check, and attended an orientation class. If you have completed your application and need to attend an orientation you must schedule your session 14 days in advance and receive confirmation that you can attend. We will not accommodate unscheduled walk-ins for these sessions.

Background check and training is required annually.

Please refer to policy 1010.00 for full program details and exclusions.

Does the NHDOC offer Internships?

The NHDOC does offer unpaid internships as well as class tours and jobs shadows in a multitude of positions including but not limited to: Corrections Officers, Nursing, Case Management, Program Staff, Behavioral Health and Probation and Parole and more. 

Internships must be done for school credit. Learn more on our Internship page.

How do I get information about an incarcerated individual?

Publicly releasable information can be found using our online resident locator.

If a resident does not show up on our locator, we do not have them in our custody. Please note that people incarcerated at a County Facility will NOT show up on our locator as we do not have jurisdiction over county jails. You would need to reach out to them directly.

For further information a release of information (ROI) must be on file for any information to be released. This individual must initiate this with their case manager. There is a form for general information and a form for medical related information. If there are no forms on file, no information beyond what is available online can be released.

What is a "government record?"

A government record means any information that has been created, accepted, or obtained by, or on behalf of, any public body or agency during its official functions. This includes written communications and other information in paper, electronic, or other physical form.

What if my volunteer status has expired? 

Don’t worry, we will be working with everyone to make sure there is little to no interruption in service once the program resumes again.

I am not currently a volunteer but I would like to become one, how do I do that?

Please check back here as to the status of the program. Once the program resumes you will need to submit a volunteer application and attend training.

Does the NHDOC operate the county jails or federal prisons?

No, the NHDOC has jurisdiction over the New Hampshire State Prison for Men (NHSP-M), the New Hampshire Correctional Facility for Women (NHCFW), the Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility (NNHCF), the Transitional Work Center (TWC) and the Transitional Housing Units (Calumet, North End and Shea Farm). County jails are operated by the individual counties. Federal prisons are operated by the federal government – Bureau of Prisons. For more information on the counties in the State of New Hampshire, go to www.nhcounties.org/.  For more information on the federal prisons, go to https://www.bop.gov/.

What types of documents can I request under RSA 91-A?

Only pre-existing records are required to be released under the Right-to-Know Law. This means you may only request documents which already exist, and NHDOC is not required to create any information you are requesting if the information is not already maintained or readily available. This also means you may not make any requests for future documents.

Types of records you may request include, but are not limited to, e-mail, text messages, meeting minutes, and documents such as reports and contracts.

What records are exempt from release under 91-A?

There are several exemptions provided by the Right-to-Know Law, meaning NHDOC is not required to disclose them to the public. Exemptions include but are not limited to:

  • Drafts of documents
  • Personnel records
  • Medical records of an individual
  • Offender records of an individual
  • Written legal advice from NHDOC’ legal counsel (also known as attorney/client privilege)

The full list of exemptions can be found in RSA 91-A:5.

How do I request records under RSA 91-A?

You may submit a request to NHDOC detailing the information you are looking for. Please be as specific as possible and include a date range of the records you are looking for, if applicable. (e.g.; reports from January 2021 to present). Requests may be submitted by:

Email: feedback@doc.nh.gov

Fax: 603-271-5602

Mail: 105 Pleasant Street, PO Box 1806, Concord, NH 03301